Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Word About Ab Ripper X

Actually two words, “it sucks.” I am seriously doubting that I’ll ever be able to keep up with all the exercises on the Ab Ribber X video. I have notoriously always had strong abs, but that is, by far, the most challenging routine I ever tried to endure. And it doesn’t help that I’m trying to do it after I’m already burnt out. From now on I’m splitting it off from the rest of the routine and I’ll tackle Ab Ripper at lunch-time and do the rest of the work-out in the evening.

Last night (Legs, Back & Abs) was by far the toughest day for me. It’s really the only day that is unpleasant. And it really bugs me too since my legs have always been much stronger than my upper body. But things are shifting. I’ve been lifting all winter and I slacked off for nearly the entire biking season last year. My legs are just not what they used to be. But that will change!

On top of having weaker than normal legs, I also have a bad knee which really challenges me, not to mention bums me out. As if all of my physical activities are not hard enough, I have to add to it the sheering pain when my bones scrape together from the lack of cartilage in my knee. I have suffered with this problem since high school and it only gets worse every year. How depressing is that?

So last night my knee was giving me problems right away during the warm-up jog. I should be wearing a knee brace, but I'm not. Then I insisted on using weights during some of the lunges, despite Tony’s advice for “people with bad knees.” I really should have listened to him! Add to that the fact that we got a new pull-up bar which is thicker than our old one. I struggled with getting comfortable on it. I tried wearing gloves, but that didn’t stop the burning feeling like my skin was falling off. Sigh. It just wasn’t a good night.

Oh, and then there’s the fact that I promised a picture of our pull-up set-up but my whining, pain-in-the-butt husband wouldn’t let me take a picture of him. So the cat is out of the bag – he doesn’t look like the guys on the video. There, now you all know! But the fact is, he still looks great and one day I’m snapping a picture when he’s not looking and posting it. So there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

stick with it...after a few months it'll feel really good when you finish all of the ab exercises. And even better when you can do it without much trouble!

Anonymous said...

Wow it sucks? Im sure thats just because your having a hard time. I forgot to look at the date you posted this so who knows when it was exactly.

I started doing my ab ripper x in March with an addition of eating right and I am ABsolutely amazed at how awesome this is.

When I first started out I knew all I had to do was tone up my stomach, because my stomach was already muscular as was it was just covered in "fat". The first 3 days I did the ab ripper I was sore, but after that and on to now in July i can do the entire process and not be in pain AT ALL.

Its still hard, but it just doesnt hurt. Anyway I love it, I wish i would have found this years ago when I was much younger and needed more self confidence!

Good luck!