Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Are My Limbs Too Long For Yoga?

During my yoga routine this morning I couldn't help but wonder if my limbs are simply too long to achieve some proper poses. For instance, I can not sit in staff pose without having bent elbows or raised shoulders. It just doesn't work. When I force my shoulders down and my elbows straight I end up with my butt in the air! If my arms are longer than my torso I just don't see how this pose can work properly for me.

Now you would think those long arms would help when I have to grab my big toe and stretch my leg. The longer the arms the easier the stretch, right? Well, that would work if my legs weren't even longer. So if the leg is freakishly long compared to the arm where does that leave you, besides with a bent knee. Sigh. I have come to the conclusion that some body types are perfectly proportioned for yoga while others are not. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm perfectly proportioned to do. Yoga and buying clothing are certainly not it.

3 comments:

Young Yoga Masters said...

Good question - I often wonder that too! But proportions are fun when it comes to figuring out partner yoga with kids.

Anonymous said...

I often think that as well, as my legs are particularly long. Then, I'm told there are people who teach yoga to amputees....

Anonymous said...

I have long arms too and i do yoga regularly. my instructor told me that during staff pose, the key is to keep your back straight. you can either relax your arm or stretch your arm closer and place it where it will be straight.
for long legs, you just have to try harder and bend more to reach your toes.